Social worker and IGA officer sponsorship
There isn’t an effective welfare system operating in Uganda, let alone the Namatala slum, where things are much worse. To combat this for the families of our pupils, we have developed a welfare team of our own, which regularly works around Namatala to pick up absentees from school and act as a kind of mini-social service and counselling system for the families. In addition, we have an IGA (Income Generating Activity) team which works specifically with the parents to help improve their skills and income… and it’s entirely funded by us. Our social work and IGA teams have salaries ranging between £30 to £70 per month.
Actually, it is proving extremely effective through a series of programmes:
- Regular home visits for children,
- Business training for parents,
- Grants for parents to start businesses,
- Business mentoring for parents,
- Savings scheme for parents,
- Specific training sessions for parents/guardians (health, literacy, parenting skills)
- Advocating child and women rights.
Social work and IGA team sponsorship involves funding part of our field staff’s salary - as much as you prefer, starting at £10 per month.
Click here to download our sponsorship form